Council Member Defends Water Rate Increases for Residents

Reacting to the City Council’s recent approval of his amendment to spread out an approximately 19% increase in water rates Citywide over a longer period, District 1 Councilmember Joe LaCava (above) said it was necessary to soften the financial blow.

The City Council voted 5-3 to increase water rates by 5% beginning Dec. 1, 2023, then increase another 5.2% effective July 1, 2024, for a total one-year increase of 10.2%. Another increase of 8.7% overall will take effect the following year on Jan. 1, 2025.